This is the last week you all will be blogging on your own blogs. It is hard to believe that we only have 2 more weeks of classes! I'll be downloading case studies and Assessment Task 3 on Sunday evening when I return to Oklahoma from visiting my 91 year old mother. I'm looking forward to reading what you have. I have begun working on the new version of the iBook that your projects will be contributing to, and have begun to edit your cheat sheets for inclusion. Please make sure that your names are on all that you do so that you can get credit.
This week you will read a chapter on the challenges of early writing instruction as well as 3 articles about implementing New Literacies into your classroom literacy practices. Before reading, what do you think is a challenge for you related to early writing instruction? How would you define New Literacies? What do you think they encompass in terms of thinking about young children who are just learning about literacy?
As you read, think about these terms: participatory literacy, curricular integration vs. technology integration, features of e-texts, functions of writing. Blog about these ideas in your own blogs, and make connections across the readings. How is the writing chapter related to the New Literacies articles?
We will be meeting on April 29 from 1-3 in Rm. 334. Please bring a draft of your application project for peer review (part of class ). Be prepared to share about your project as well. Final versions of the project will be due on May 6 at 11:59 pm.
Let me know if you have any questions. Have a good week!
I think it is challenging at times to get students intrinsically motivated to write. I always have students who are willing to write because they are motivated by grades, but I want them to be motivated to write because they know the power and usefulness of writing. I also sometimes find it challenging to get students to expand their writing. It seems like often they want to get the task done quickly and with the minimum, leaving their thoughts short and described in little detail.
ReplyDeleteI would define New Literacies as new ways of reading, writing, and learning. In the 21st century that involves digital literacy, the use of technology to read, write, and learn. This would encompass students reading things like e-books and playing apps or online games that focus on a specific skill or skills concerned with literacy.
I think a challenge for me as far as early writing instruction goes is differentiated instruction. Which strategy is best for each student? There are so many strategies out there. How do I decide which one works for which student? I would define New Literacies as new ways of looking at literacy. New ways to express an old concept-literacy. Literacy which really means any form of reading and writing can be expressed in so many forms these days. Literacy can be found in a book, on Facebook, Twitter. How do we view literacy when books are now available within seconds on your reading device or tablet. I view New Literacies the same way I view old literacies. The old literacies involve reading aloud to children from great books. New literacies involve reading to children from great books on your digital device or showing them a video of a great book being read by a narrator. It doesn't matter what technique you choose to get students reading and writing the goal is still the same: to teach students the fundamental skills of reading and writing.
ReplyDeleteI struggle with getting my students to elaborate and use descriptive language in their writing. Many of my students write simple sentences and the minimal amount to get through the assignment. I would like to be able to motivate my students to develop thoughtful and meaningful writing with intrinsic motivation.
ReplyDeleteDigital texts and other electronic forms of literacy is my interpretation of New Literacies. Online resources and games, ebooks, and phone applications are some forms of new literacies accessible during this day and age. This form of literacy allows children to engage in literacy in their own interests. Role playing games require literate players, as they chat amongst one another. Phone and tablet apps provide text to listen and read. Ebooks also provide a listening option for children to utilize as words are also provided.
I have the same concerns as Theresa does with hers. Descriptive sentences are difficult for my group. They try to use the same words repeatedly (cool, good, awesome) and I see this reflected in their verbal ability as well in our class discussions.
ReplyDeleteI would define New Literacies as different modes of reading, writing and communicating besides paper/pencil. This would include technologies which allow students to access ebooks, videos, games, social media, FaceTime, Skype and blogs.
ReplyDeleteI think for me the challenge is making sure that each student in your class is getting the instruction that they need that inspires each one of them to want to write. Knowing that in a class you can have students with varying learning abilities, it seems overwhelming to make sure that I am able to see that each one is getting what they need. Especially considering the ELL’s, and not being bilingual myself.
New Literacies to me is moving away from traditional books and paper/pen journals towards digital. It provides a more progressive way for students to learn about literacy whether it’s e-books, iPad journaling, reading apps, etc. As much as I love books and still want a classroom library, the new literacy era is important and necessary to incorporate. I think it’s important to introduce both at an early age.
I have always taught third or fifth grade students. When my students would come to me in fifth grade, they all always seemed to be lacking in their writing abilities as compared to grade level expectations. The majority of them always knew little about the differences in writing across the three modes and the different text structures. They would also struggle to write complete sentences and/or write many run on sentences with lack of punctuation. As a fifth grade teacher, I would always feel like I had to teach them things that they should have mastered already in their early writing instruction. I do feel that many teachers feel incompetent in their abilities to teach writing, and sometimes because of this they give it little attention. I also feel that much attention is given to reading comprehension skills and strategies and math especially in third and fourth grades, because that is what students are tested on in those grades. So for me the challenge has always been that I have to teach my fifth graders so much about writing in one year because they come to me with so little knowledge that it is hard to fit it all in. I think more professional development is needed for early writing instruction.
ReplyDeleteNew literacies are related to the Internet and technology and are always evolving. New literacies can deal with literacy on the Internet as well as visual and digital literacies. New literacies also include multimodal literacies in which meaning is drawn from texts, pictures, videos, sound, etc. As teachers, I think we have to teach our students how to use traditional forms of literacy as well as new literacies, and I think this starts from the beginning of their education.
I think allowing my students multiple opportunities to write through out the day has been something that's been challenging for me. At the beginning of the year I had my writing center, but not a lot of other opportunities for my students to write. I've slowly incorporated clip boards into the dramatic play area and free-write journal days. I want to continue to incorporate writing in different centers throughout my room. I don't want my students to think that writing is only appropriate in the writing center (same with reading books). I followed the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum this year. I do like that it teaches writing in a simplified way, I don't like that it doesn't incorporate lowercase alphabet as much.
ReplyDeleteNew Literacies include the use of technology in regards to literacy instruction. I think it's important for teachers to incorporate technology as we are teaching 21st century learners who will need to be literate in technology integration.
One of my challenges with teaching beginning writers is motivating all students to write in a variety of ways. Most of my students love to write and make their own books. Other children always choose the building center, or when I have a specific writing activity, they speed through it to finish.
ReplyDeleteMy understanding of new literacies is writing that is incorporated with technology (blogging, videos, audio, etc.). I'm interested to read more about this as Norman incorporates new technologies in the classroom next year.
One of the biggest challenges for me in teaching beginning writers is encouraging them to even try! Often when I'm in our preschool classroom and trying to have students begin writing, their first response is usually "I can't." I don't always know what to say or do to motivate them and get them past this point. Encouraging self-confidence in writing for my students is something I need to learn strategies for!
ReplyDeleteFrom the little I know about new literacies, my understanding is that they include the texts/writing that can be accessed via technology, such as what children encounter on iPads, television, computers, smartphones, etc. In this time, I think that utilizing new literacies is something that teachers must do in their classrooms, as for many students this might be where they most often encounter texts. Finding ways to utilize them appropriately and to teach parents to do so as well is beneficial to further literacy development.
One of the challenges I have with early writing instruction is keeping my students engaged and interested. Even during times for free writing I struggle to keep my students interested in writing. I also struggle to give my students multiple opportunities to write throughout the day.
ReplyDeleteI would define New Literacies as new and innovative models of literacy. For example, ebooks, videos, literacy apps and online games, online group meetings, online discussions, blogs, and much more.
A personal challenge that I could see with early writing instruction would be balancing the mechanics of writing with use of language. I want students to find their voice while also using correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. The mechanics are important but I think I will approach writing in the classroom in the same way that I approach my own writing. Learn the basics, write for a purpose, revise, and edit at the end.
ReplyDeleteI would assume that "New Literacies" refers to communication or text via technology. I think students today have an advantage when it comes to New Literacies because these modes of communication make the most sense to them. Technology makes literacy more accessible to young children who have never known a time without unlimited access to the internet and communication on multiple devices. Teachers can use that knowledge to their advantage in the classroom.
One of the biggest challenges I have when teaching writing is for the children to be creative! They do great when we write together, but independently they struggle with being descriptive and being creative. I struggle with telling them what to write, instead of asking them open-ended questions to make them think.
ReplyDeleteNew literacies to me mean involving technology. So, the different types of apps, videos , iBooks, computer activities, would be considered new literacies.
I think a challenge in teaching students to write is ensuring that no child is left behind. As children learn at different paces, I struggle with how to differentiate instruction effectively and in the amount of time available to do so before having to move to the next lesson.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the others in our class in my belief that new literacies is moving away from paper and pen and more towards technology. I think this is evidenced through even this class as we have communicated consistently through blogging and emails, utilized a computer program to submit assignments, and completed all assignments through word processing systems. Even my child's school uses smart boards for morning circle time, Ipads for interactive learning games, and computers for learning to type.