Friday, January 20, 2017

Weeks 1 and 2 Spring 2017 Welcome to EDRG 5723

Welcome to EDRG 5723 and my blog on emergent and beginning reading!  The purpose of my blog is to respond to what has happened in your blogs and discussions from the previous week and introduce the topic for the new week. I will also propose a question to activate your background knowledge and understandings about the topic that you will need to respond to as a comment on my blog.  I will then provide you with goals for your reading and may propose some ways that you can respond or ideas to blog about as well as key terms for you to use in your blog discussions to demonstrate your understanding of the concepts.

I'd like to list a few of my expectations in this hybrid class related to your use of time.  We won't be meeting each week for 2 hours and 40 minutes face to face but that means that you will have to include that time in with the time you spend working on assignments adn reading. So I will expect you to: 
  • Spend at least 2.5 hours per week online.  This time could be spent responding to my blog, posting to your blog if you are the group leader for that week, responding to each other on your blog (that is, having an online discussion through your blog comments), or working with your small group online via Google Hangout or Skype or an Adobe Connect meeting that I set up
  • Keep up with readings and assignments
  • Have a true discussion on your blog.  That means that you will need to comment on the leader's post and respond to each other at least 3 or 4 times during the week. That is a minimum requirement to get the points for this assignment.
  • Respond to the Virtual Check In form --the link  is already uploaded on Canvas and the weeks that you need to complete this form are in the syllabus.  These responses will be included in your participation points
  • Checking Canvas regularly for class updates, links etc. 
 This blog counts for weeks 1 and 2 so respond to my questions below before midnight on Saturday Jan. 21Look for the week 3 blog to go live next Friday evening.

 1.  What are 3 key ideas you learned from class on Jan. 21? Why are they key to you?
2. The topic for Week 2 is Literacy Development--Change over time. What is one thing you think you know already about how literacy develops over time in young children? What is one thing you hope to learn this week?

I"ll be reading blog posts Monday late afternoon, Wednesdays and Friday afternoons.  If you have a question you want me to respond to in your discussion include it and I'll respond when I read.  Or email me and let me know you want me to weigh in earlier.

Have a good week! See you in the blogosphere. 

18 comments:

  1. One of the major things I took away from class was a clearer understanding of the differences between emergent and beginning literacy. Although I had a basic idea of what each were, our discussions helped me to form a more solid description of each including key instructional focuses. Another key idea I took away from class is the importance of reminding oneself what it feels like to be a literacy learner when teaching reading and writing to young children. It is so easy to forget what a challenge it is to learn how to find a message among symbols, or to compose a message using symbols. Reminding yourself of the challenge, and of ways you personally used to overcome it helps you to think like a learner rather than just a teacher. When you think like a learner you are more equipped to give and describe helpful strategies to the students. A third key idea I learned in class was that literacy cannot be easily explained simply. There is so much that falls under and makes up literacy, including not just reading and writing but also speaking and listening. Each of those is broken down even further to include things like comprehension and many other skills. This means that teaching literacy cannot be simple, and requires a lot of careful consideration in each realm. These ideas are key to me because keeping them in mind will help me to be a better teacher now, and in the future a better reading specialist. I will need to remember the descriptions of the literacy stages to gage where my students are, and I will need to think like a leaner and remember all that falls under the umbrella of literacy to plan effective instruction.
    I already know that literacy development does not look exactly the same and does not happen at the exact same points in life for every child. Each child develops and learns a little differently and at different paces. Sometimes students may be at the same stage and pace, and other times they may not, and student may move quickly at some points and slowly at others. I hope to learn more about what leads young children into making those progressive steps through their literacy development as well as how to best identify where along the literacy development track a child is at any given time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One idea that really stuck with me from today’s class was that reading and writing should not be taught in isolation. I found it interesting that teachers commonly confuse sight words for high frequency words. There is no list of “sight words” rather there is a list of high frequency and irregular words. Another key takeaway for me from today’s class meeting was to always remember to put myself in my student’s shoes. The Greek alphabet activity really made me more aware of how my struggling readers might feel when they are faced with literacy tasks that challenge them. As educators I think we definitely need to be mindful of this when planning our literacy lessons. I believe that there is not a set time, age, or grade level when all students are said to be expected to have had mastered their literacy development. All learners learn in different ways and at varying paces. I hope to learn more about the Reading Recovery program and what early interventions are successful in helping my readers who are at a beginning stage of literacy learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I was reminded of the challenges and frustrations young students can experience in the emergent stage of literacy. In class I also learned the difference between accuracy and fluency in regards to word recognition. I learned it takes 27 direct readings of a word for it to enter a child's sight word vocabulary.

    One thing I know about children's literacy development is that a child will only acquire an emerging literacy skill or concept when they are developmentally ready. Students demonstrate a wide variance in when they meet these milestones. Sometimes students who take more time seem to acquire skills abruptly or suddenly once they become cognitively ready. This week I would like to learn ways I can support students whose emerging literacy skills are slower to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first key idea that I took away from class today was that learning to read is a difficult process for anyone. While it is true that children will easily pick up language until the age of five it can still be hard going into a classroom for the first time and being asked to explain something you have had no learning about. The second key idea that I learned today was that literacy is more than just reading. It encompasses reading, writing, pictures. A child can tell a story just by looking at pictures and this is teaching them about literacy. The third key idea that I learned is that teacher support is paramount in children learning to read. Children will naturally recognize words and pick up language cues, but they need the motivational support of their teacher. You can't just give the child instruction and then have them do an assignment while you sit at your desk. You need to be available around the classroom for student questions.
    I already know that children develop language naturally. When they are exposed to language they will pick it up and be able to speak. I hope to learn more about how the natural development can be enhanced by not only classroom teachers, but also by parents in the home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today really reinforced for me that you must first assess what a student knows, know what you want to teach them, and then create lessons and strategies that will get them there. I can tend to jump ahead to how I will do a lesson without first establishing what it is that needs to be taught so this is important for me to consistently encounter so that this idea can be further reinforced.

    Something new that I learned today was that literacy development is separated by sound and print. This was important for me as I learned new vocabulary and how to appropriately use it in literacy discussions with peers such as phonics versus phonological awareness.

    Another key concept that I learned today was that literacy encompasses much more than reading and writing. There are general concepts about print that must be learned, the foundational understanding that letters make sounds and vice versa, that there is a process to writing, that there are cultural components, etc. Many things can influence how a student develops their literacy and there are strategies that we will teach them and strategies that they will control themselves that we can never completely understand as these are very specific to the individual.

    I think/know that literacy develops from prior knowledge and that students have their own motivation for being understood. This will drive them forward as they seek to express themselves and send messages to others. What I would like to learn is how to assess a student's prior knowledge and decide what it is that I need to tackle first. As we discussed, and as I've experienced, what works for one student will not work for another. Sometimes I have a hard time of giving up on a method that has worked well for me and do not know when it is just something they are not understanding or when it might be my fault. I would like to learn when to recognize that I need to move on and to know in which direction to go for their benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My main takeaway from class today was the importance of having an understanding of the frustrations that an emerging literacy learner can have. When we did the Greek alphabet activity, it required patience of ourselves and it's crucial we have that same patience with our young readers as it can be easy as educators to become frustrated at times. I also learned from the text that comprehension of reading does not need to occur before writing skills can develop. In fact, by not incorporating writing skills into early literature intervention we are limiting the child and contributing to slower progress. As a TA in a special needs Kinder classroom, we worked on literacy skills in small groups. One of things I did was help the student to read a page and then to have them select a word that stood out to them or that they liked and to practice writing on a dry erase board. Not knowing at the time if it was beneficial, I now feel I was on the right track.

    One thing I think is true about how literacy develops over time is that students need a foundation of letter recognition and phonemes. Without an understanding of letter sounds, I'm not sure how a student can progress and achieve phonemic awareness. Every student will not learn in the same way, but I do hope to learn tools, other than memorization that can assist a student with grasping the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with several other of my classmates that the Greek alphabet activity reinforced for me how frustrating/overwhelming it can be for students just learning how to read and write. I think that this activity was a key starting point for us this semester in helping us to recognize the different ways that students process through literacy learning. Personally, it brought about an awareness of how students learning language skills search for clues among print, think about key letters and high-frequency words, etc., in processing through learning activities.

    Another key idea I learned was the distinction between what students at the emerging literacy level and students at the primary/beginning literacy level should be learning. Our class activity of determining what should be included in each curriculum was particularly helpful to me—it made me think through some of the literacy activities I have seen at the lab preschool and exactly which purposes they serve for our students. I now have labels for the activities I see my students engaging in, such as exploring concepts of print when they sit down to read books alone, decoding their written names, etc.

    The idea of the reciprocity of reading and writing in literacy development is another key idea that I learned from this week’s class and readings. In retrospect, I feel like I should have made this obvious connection a long time ago. However, in working with younger preschoolers (2s & 3s) in the past, I hadn’t often thought of the value in their attempts at writing. In the future, I will be more apt to recognize these attempts as a method of meaning-making, even before they are able to formally read. Hopefully I can now help them to draw on these efforts and their particular motivations to support their further understanding of concepts of literacy.

    From prior readings and what we talked about in class, I have learned that literacy development in children is not always the same linear process from one child to another. Children draw upon various internal and external resources to progress in their understanding of oral and written language. This week, I hope to learn more about how to aid students struggling with the necessary early skills of phonological and phonemic awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, I think defining the difference between emergent and beginning literacy was important to me. Since taking the undergrad class, I forgot what the difference between the two are. I think being able to identify and define both was helpful to my literacy instruction since I have both in my classroom. Second, I loved brainstorming curriculum for early and primary grades. Being a pre-k teacher I sometimes do not keep in mind the goals the students will have in primary grades. I think this was a good reminder for me and I can apply some of the skills we defined in primary grades with some of my students who are already reading. (I have several who do!). Lastly, I loved discussing the reading. I enjoyed the book and loved the emphasis the author put into reading and writing instruction being taught together. Reading and writing, when taught together, has such a deeper meaning for students. Not only are they learning how to decode information being given to them through text, they are also learning how to convey their own messages.

    One thing I know about how literacy develops overtime is that every new skill builds upon the previous one that was learned. For example, students start with listening and speaking skills and developing their oral language abilities. Next, they are introduced to symbols, or letters and learn they are attached to sounds that can form words. From those words, students learn that together they can convey a message or an idea. Clearly, this is not the last step in literacy, however I believe these steps are essential when defining early literacy. Students cannot skip any steps, as each step builds upon the last and does not have meaning when in isolation. This week I hope to learn more about how intricate each step of early literacy is. Although i have learned and talked about it in previous courses, I hope to be able to better analyze the ways students learn and develop in literacy and, in turn, how to accommodate their needs as students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I learned three key ideas in today's class discussions, review of the articles read, and from the review of the readings from the Clay book. The first key idea is that there are no fixed sequence of steps in early writing. This seems unusual, since with reading, there are steps that usually happen first and each step builds upon the previous one. Secondly, with regards to writing, the teacher needs to observe and scaffold instruction daily while the student explores the process of writing. Thirdly, oral language is a critical componoent of both emerging and beginning readers and beyond.
    These three ideas are important to me since as a special educator, writing seems to be one of the hardest areas for my students to make steady progress. Since the majority of my students have some sort of language delays (and usually fine motor delays) writing for a majority them is a struggle.
    2. One thing I think I know about how literacy changes over time is how important oral language can be to develop literacy growth. When a child enters Pre-K (or other grades) with language delays, this greatly impacts his or her ability to interact and engage with others, which can delay understanding of all aspects of literacy. What I hope to learn this week is how to help a student progress in a classroom setting as much as possible. Also, I am curious, as when did Marie Clay say intervention by a therapist or specialist was warranted? Did her idea of the specific age/grade of intervention for struggling students change over time? My understanding of the Reading Recovery program was designed for students at age 5 or 6--did she think earlier intervention was appropriate? When I taught in a DOD school--we did have Reading Recovery--most of the students were in first grade--so I am basing the age of the students that were in the program when I taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed my profile name from Rocking Readers to KCoucke but it won't change on this comment I just posted. --Karen Coucke

      Delete
  10. I walked away from class today having learned several ideas. Having no experience in formal literacy instruction and no memory of what is was like when I learned to read and write, I was not aware of how difficult grasping this concept can be for young children. The activity with the Greek alphabet was eye-opening. The amount of concentration I needed in order to complete the reading, and writing of the hungry _____ exercise was exhausting. It is often easy to forget how difficult this can be for a new learner when reading and writing are so fluent for us as adults.

    Secondly, a member of our group, Samantha, during one of our small group discussions explained that her definition of writing was "the expression of a person's voice in print". What an accurate statement. Whether it is a story, an instruction, a word, an idea; writing truly is communication of one’s thoughts, in print, for others. Her idea helped me to think critically about the purpose of writing, beyond the base concepts.

    Lastly, I learned that literacy is a very simple term for very complex concept. With no previous educational instruction regarding literacy, my previous concept was very basic. However, after reading the chapters in Clay's book and then listening to the ideas and concepts discussed during today's class, my idea of this process has drastically changed. While I assumed that the instruction of reading and writing could not be an easy task, I had no idea of the importance of each concept that children needed to master in order to effectively read and write.

    With my experience being primarily related to children ages 0-5, I knew that increased exposure to language increased a child's ability to begin to learn literacy concepts. As children have increased exposure to each concept, their ability to understand these concepts increases and once they truly understand each concept their knowledge continues to build.

    In glancing over the chapters that we will be reading this week, I see that they will further introduce both the history and some theoretical principles of literacy. As my foundation in literacy is minimal, I am hoping that these theories and history will help extend that foundation. I am also hoping to understand in more detail the beginning stages of literacy processing. My son is 5 years old and in the process of learning to read and write. I am eager to begin to learn the beginning stages of this process to better understand his development.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are numerous things I learned and relearned today. One of the major things I took away from today was the frustration I felt learning the Greek alphabet. I began to think of how my little kiddos feel as they are learning to read. The frustration of not knowing what comes next and the feeling of being overwhelmed was definitely present today. Today was a good reminder of how patient I need to be, and what to expect as a new teacher. From the classes and field experiences I have taken and experienced throughout my program, I understand children learn at a different pace, and there needs to be differentiated learning throughout my teaching. The concepts we discussed today helped me as a new teacher understand what children experience throughout the early stages of their learning and what I should expect as a new teacher.
    One of the biggest takeaways from today, like many of my classmates, was learning the difference between emergent and beginning literacy. When I first heard the terms, I did not think there was a difference between the two. After today’s lecture, I quickly began to understand the difference. Being able to break into groups and discuss/ break down the different definitions in our readings, gave me a better understanding of what the author was discussing.
    Also, another takeaway from today’s lecture would be the discussions we had in class. It is comforting and encouraging to hear everyone’s take on the different discussions. As a masters student seeking certification, one of my favorite parts of my program is being able to listen to veteran teachers and the knowledge they bring into the classroom.
    The first thing I thought of when it comes to literacy development, is every child develops at their own pace. Also, looking at childhood development we cannot teach a skill or concept children are not developmentally ready to learn. Each child develops at a different pace and we as educators cannot expect every child in our classroom to learn at the same pace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. One of my main take aways from our class today was the clearer picture of what the differences between emergent and beginning readers looks like. Although I knew there were differences obviously, it was very helpful for me to be able to break it down and hear other peoples thoughts. It was also very interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on what literacy is. It can mean very different things to different people! Another key idea I took from today was when you mentioned how many people (teachers as well as parents), misunderstand the definition of sight words. I have been guilty of using the incorrect definition even though I should have known better! Lastly, like most of us- the Greek alphabet lesson made a big impact on me. I thought it was very helpful to get into the mindset of a 1st grader- as an educator this is something I feel I should be good at but find difficult at times.
    2. One concept I know about literacy changes in children is that it looks different for every child and there are no clear benchmarks that all children can be expected to reach by a certain age. This idea was reinforced by the readings for this past week. Although I know the learning process varies, I am interested to learn more about why that is exactly. For example, if a group of children were to all receive an "ideal" pre-literacy background before the start of formal education would the children be more likely to have similar paths to literacy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The class today flew by so quickly, especially because I was engaged throughout the discussion! I enjoyed reading the chapters so much, because I was able to relate many of the concepts to what I experience as a teacher in the classroom. What really resonated with me after reading the chapters and having a discussion was the concept of teaching reading alongside with writing. I was so upset that I knew the two needed to be taught in sync with one another, but got so caught up in focusing on standards that I have been teaching them in isolation. It was a very eye opening read and I am definitely going to reconstruct my lessons to teach my students to read while they write and write while they read. I also really enjoyed the greek alphabet activity we did in class. It reminds us how difficult it is to learn to read and comprehend. It's been so long since we've had to experience such a difficult task, that we forget how a student my be feeling as they are learning this new skill. Last, I really enjoyed the whole group discussion as we compiled all the components of literacy and the importance of finding the skills to teach before developing the activities and lessons. I've been out of the game for awhile with education courses, so it was nice to dig back into my knowledge about early literacy and refresh my brain on the foundational skills of literacy. Listing and discussing everything all the components of literacy was a great reminder of all the important skills young learners are experiencing as they read and write. There's so much for these little learners to learn and so fascinating to see them as they go through their journey of developing literacy skills, at their own pace and own paths.

    Concerning the development of literacy over children, I know that all children are different and there is no specific sequence that is experienced as one learns to read and write. However, there are general stages of literacy. Children begin at the emergent level and then move on to the beginning levels of literacy. They then experience the transitional, intermediate, and advanced levels of reading and writing. This week, I hope to refresh my understanding of how a child changes through time and when should I be concerned about a child's development in literacy. What signs should I be seeing to indicate if a child is in need of special needs? Or are they just late bloomers?

    I am very excited to continue reading the chapters for the course! I love that I can apply these concepts to my everyday life. The projects are a bit intimidating, but I know it will be a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our class today was so engaging and informative that the list of key ideas I have learned could run on forever. I love that my reading for this class can be directly applied to what I am doing in my classroom. Some of the most interesting parts of todays class included our discussion on the difference between emergent and beginning, more in-depth discussion and descriptions of the projects in the syllabus, as well as the definition of literacy.

    As a new teacher, I have found myself in situations where I have to label my students as beginning or emergent learners without completely understanding what those terms are. Over the past year I have crafted my own definition but having the input of my classmates today both confirmed my thoughts as well as introduced new aspects that only deepened my knowledge.

    After reading through the syllabus, I was both intrigued and perplexed by the projects. Some of the options sounded interesting to me while others left me very confused. After our discussion today about the syllabus and how differentiation was going to work within the assignments, I am feeling very confident in my understanding as well excited for the work and learning that is to come.

    Similarly to my experience with emergent and beginning literacy is my knowledge of the definition of literacy. As a new teacher with very little background in education, literacy was just a name for time in our schedule. It was a title i put on a set of centers throughout the week. It was a word that encompassed everything pertaining to letters and words but was never something I had to explain or define. After small group discussion in class today, I feel much more confident in my ability to define, explain, and teach literacy as a subject and a concept to both my students and their parents.

    The word development to me is a change in ability for the better. It is the improvements and expanding of an ability. Adding the word Literacy in front give a focussed direction to such change. A students Literacy Development expands and progresses over time as they learn more, incorporate more aspects ranging from alphabetics to research and everything in between, and are exposed to a wider variety of subjects and genres.

    One thing I hope to learn as I continue my reading this week and as my group begins our discussions is what this progression should look like. As a teacher I have somewhat of a scale from what I see in my own students but would like a more in depth of the ideal progression in literacy development.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had several take-aways from class on Saturday. Diving into Emergent Literacy components helped me realize the over-bearing strain that is put on young children (and teachers) in Pre-K and Kindergarten. Policy-makers and curriculum writers assume all children can learn to read by the time they leave kindergarten, without accounting for differences in background knowledge and support at home. Another take-away came from the Greek alphabet activity. It helped me reflect on my teaching and the ways I support my students. I was happy to think of all of the resources I have hanging in my classroom, but I also found ways to personally help my kids with their literacy learning. The third take-away I had was the importance supporting children's reading and writing at the same time. They are both equally important.

    One thing I know about literacy development over time is simple. Many of the kids in my Pre-K classroom come into school thinking that pictures contain the main message that the teacher reads. By the time they leave me, they understand that the words on the page are what the teacher uses to share the message of the story.

    One thing I hope to learn this week how children progress from their basic recognition of letters to understanding that letters provide meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Three things that I took away from class Saturday were remembering what it was like to learn to read and write, key components of early literacy curriculum, and the basics of how to teach reading and writing as a combined unit to really build literacy in children.
    The greek alphabet challenge was really actually refreshing. I feel like so often we are taught new things in our education, but since we know how to read and write already, we have a leg up in learning. With using a different alphabet, I felt like I really went back to square one and was a very fresh learner. I think this is important when teaching really anything to the early grades. Just because we know how to spell or add simple math does not mean that elementary age children will catch on so quickly and it is a big deal to be able to relate to that struggle and recognize when they need extra help.
    I also really enjoyed going over the curriculum chart. Since I do not have my undergrad in education and I am not currently a teacher, those are things that I am not exposed to on a regular basis. It is really nice to be able to be like “okay this age should be able to start learning this…” and so on. As this is my first semester in the master’s education program, I think this was a really great first week to get exposed to the basics of elementary education.
    The third thing that I learned was from our discussion and reading of the article by Bayless and the Clay book. I learned to read and write so long ago that I do not really remember how it went or the process and I have not had the experience of teaching literacy yet, so it was really fascinating to see how literacy is changing in this modern age of technology.
    One thing that I think I know about literacy development is that there are many different stages in the form of an inverted pyramid. I learned to read using the BOB books, and from what I recall, they start off very basic and with simple sentences and gradually get more difficult and complex. One thing I hope to learn this week is how to know when to advance a child through their literacy curriculum since so many children are on different levels and speeds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Three key concepts of focus during class on January 21 are aspects of emergent and beginning literacy. They are important to me because knowing what to expect in developmental milestones during the literacy journey empower me to scaffold student’s learning. Additionally, knowing what students should know allows me to meeting students where they are so I can bridge the gap as they obtain the skills they need for their literacy journey. Another ideology is reading and writing are taught simultaneously in the school setting but separate at home, parents usually do not know how to teach nor do they focus on the writing skills. Finally, teacher’s expectations for a child can get in the way of finding out what the child already knows. This concept is vital because utilizing student’s background knowledge helps the teacher use the necessary language for the students to connect and create ways to add new knowledge for the child to negotiate the literacy process on their own terms. I realize literacy development is a life-long learning process yet, the most critical piece is the foundation that begins at home. The problem in literacy development is for those who are unlearned between birth and five. The unstable foundation creates life-long learning challenges. However, for those who are ‘in the know’, embrace the “critical period” creating a strong early literacy foundation at home will possess a strong structural foundation which will easily support the necessary steps in the development of the life-long literacy process. This week I hope to learn how to support literacy development among families with children from birth to five years old.
    Reposted with permission, CJG

    ReplyDelete